THE CRETAN TREASURES PRIVATE TOUR
All Year Round
Food & Wine Tour
- Experience Cretan culture through its unique flavors and local treasures.
- Visit the oldest olive tree in the world
- Learn about Greece’s liquid gold’ (olive oil) while tasting different samples at an organic olive oil estate
- Participate in a scavenger hunt around the farm grounds and search for local herbs used in foods and medicines.
- Try different local wine varietals from the farmer’s barrels while enjoying organic cheese and meat.
- Take part in our hands-on cooking class and discover the most tempting recipes of the Cretan cuisine
On this food and wine tour, you will be introduced to the Cretan cuisine and local wines and our culinary traditions that date back to ancient times and have influenced not only the European cuisine but also many others! From pure olive oil to organic wines, locally produced cheese to a unique smoked apaki, take your own private tour into Crete’s culinary treasures! We’re heading to the region of Kissamos and we will end up at a farmer’s house for a hands-on cooking class with organic fruit and vegetables from his estate. Taste some treats, learn about local flora, and pick up a few tips while participating in everyday local farm activities!
Local impact — How you help the local community by joining this tour:
- By joining this tour, you help support small-scale rural businesses in local communities financially.
- All of the food you sample during your tour is sourced from local villages, farmers, and stock-breeders of Crete.
Wine and Olive Oil tasting Tour plus a Cooking Demonstration and Lunch at a Local Village Estate
Discover the culinary delights of Crete at firsthand. Experience the day-to-day life of the Cretan villages and share with the locals their knowledge on local products and delicacies. After meeting your guide, you will head to the region of Kisamos, famous for its olive oil and wine production. Visit the oldest olive tree in the world that still produces olives and learn about the history of its sacred land.
Next, it’s time to taste organic extra virgin olive oil. We will visit a family-owned, olive mill, specializing in the artisan production of organic olive oil using millstones and presses. Get an introduction to Cretan olive oil & olive oil quality, while visiting the production facilities, and tasting various delicious olive oils.
We will then make our way to a family-run farm to sample the famous dairy products of the region, such as freshly produced cheese and yogurt. Roll up your sleeves and grab your baskets as you walk into the farmer’s vegetable garden to select the products for your next mission. While tasting some “dakos” with olive oil and a glass of wine, take part in our hands-on cooking class and discover the most tempting recipes of the Cretan cuisine, selected to be matched at their best with the farm olive oils and wine.
While your meal is slowly cooked over a fired wooden oven, walk around the tiny hilltop village and collect herbs to make your own mountain tea. Our culinary journey will continue into the farmer’s cellar where you are free to sample different wines, straight from the barrels!
And if this wasn’t enough for your taste buds, we will go on to sample what is considered the best honey in the region at a small family-owned business. By the end of this culinary adventure, you will have enjoyed the best treasures of this sacred land.
Inclusions: Tastings of olive oil, olives, cheeses, rusks, cooking class, 3-course meal, wine, and local sweets
Exclusions: Additional food and drink, souvenirs and items of a personal nature, tips and gratuities for your guide