- Discover Athens beyond the mainstream attractions, by exploring its bohemian side from funky workshops to cool cafés.
- Visit Athenians-favourite alternative districts with a local by your side
- Find amazing graffiti and learn about one of the biggest street art scenes in the world
- Wander around back streets and discover cultural spaces and art studios
- Eat and sip your way with a Greek coffee, spirits, sweets, and a meze through the city, as you hear stories and tales behind city sites
Our private walking tour of Athens will introduce you to the alternative and artsy sights of Athens, the kind of places that travelers often miss because they don’t know about them. Walk with us and see why it’s called the new Berlin. Let us show you a different side of Europe’s oldest city, a side that locals-only know. Experience alternative Athens by walking downtown Athens’ through back alleys and into neighborhoods where bohemian shops, amazing street art, hidden courtyards, and indie cafés are located, attracting locals and travellers who like escaping the tourist traps.
Local impact — How you help the local community by joining this tour:
- This tour supports the new generation of Athenians, such as young artists, by promoting their work and their enterprises to help them thrive through the financial crisis.
- By joining this tour we support businesses in neighborhoods that aren’t generally impacted by tourism.
Athens may be famous for its ancient glory like the Parthenon, the Caryatids, and all the other wonders of Greece’s mythical times, but Athens is not only about the past! It is a modern city with creative locals and cool vibes, a city with modern-day stories and secrets to tell, as exciting as the Greek myths!
On this Athens city tour, you’ll wander around lesser-known neighbourhoods that locals love to hang out and discover secret corners that are beyond areas traditionally found in guidebooks.
Your tour will start by sipping a traditional Greek coffee in a central-but-totally-hidden garden known by locals. Enjoy your coffee by sitting among some awesome monuments and hear stories and tales about the buildings that surround the garden.
Continuing your walk, you’ll learn about heroes and outlaws, queens and kings, as well as the centuries-old Athens that is hidden beneath your feet. Strolling through hidden alleys while hearing stories about locals’ traditions and superstitions, you’ll pass by bohemian workshops and cultural spaces where new artists have set up their galleries, and see how life is for middle-class Athenians.
Then, discover one of the biggest street art scenes in the world. Check out the amazing murals hidden among the bustling streets of the city and learn about the art of graffiti and its importance as a way of expression for the new generation of Athenians. Keep in mind that even the word ‘graffiti’ comes from the Greek word grafi, which means ‘written.’
During this Athens tour, you’ll see the mesmerizing blend of the old with the new, being well-matched (or not) around the city. You will get a better understanding of this Ancient city and how it has evolved nowadays. While walking around with your guide, you’ll have the opportunity to taste flavors and aromas of the city, such as sweets, local tapas, and of course spirits.
By the end of this tour, you will have experienced the authentic side of Europe’s oldest city, Athens!
With so many suggestions and tips from your local guide, you’ll likely have a myriad of things you’ll want to do next!
Inclusions: Local English-speaking guide, a Greek coffee, glass of local spirits/wine, a local sweet, a “meze” plate (finger food).
Exclusions: Additional food and drink, souvenirs and items of a personal nature, tips and gratuities for your guide