- Discover authentic Santorini through its centuries-old fascinating wine history
- Get access to a 19th-century private canava (cave cellar) and catch a glimpse of locals’ life when they were storing the grapes and producing their wine in these underground caves
- Experience a unique wine session in the cellar of a local instrumentalist who combines ancient Greek music, Greek Mythology and some mythical ancient Greek wines produced since ancient times
- Sip on high-quality local wines and admire stunning views over the Caldera
It’s wine o’ clock! In the afternoon, make a journey to the captivating wine history of Santorini, on a tour full of flavors and bites. As it is believed, Santorini is the world’s oldest vineyard and a unique volcanic place where you can perfectly combine food, wine, and culture. It’s no surprise that wine tours in Santorini have grown tremendously in popularity but we won’t take you from winery to winery. Get ready to experience a unique historical trail full of wine!
Local impact — How you help the local community by joining this tour:
- By visiting a local winery that follows traditional methods, you promote Santorini’s indigenous varieties of grapes and local ancient pruning techniques.
- By visiting an underground labyrinth that was the owner’s house cellar during his childhood, you will get a better understanding of local life and traditions in the past.
- You support local farmers and help preserve Satorini’s culinary traditions by sampling food locally sourced from Santorini and nearby islands.
- All of the stores you visit on your tour are 100% locally owned and run.
Your private Santorini wine tour will start with a pick-up from the cruise arrivals pier of the old port (Skala) if you are on a cruise, or your Santorini hotel.
After meeting your local guide, you’ll head to your first stop of this exciting wine culture exploration, a private old canava. “Canava” is the characteristic volcanic underground caves of the island used as a space for grape storage and winemaking. Get fascinated with the recent stories of locals who had to tame the island’s harsh weather conditions so as to produce their marvelous wines by using ancient still-in-use techniques and methods.
Afterward, you’ll have the opportunity to combine the fascinating past of Santorini wine and its promising future by experiencing a unique ethereal session. Meet a famous award-winning local instrumentalist in his cellar and participate in a private show in which you’ll taste ancient Greek wines of mythical varieties as recorded by historians while the musician recites Greek mythology and plays live ancient Greek music using hand-made ancient greek instruments. Be informed that you will also be invited to show your musical skills as you will have the opportunity to accompany the artist!
Your wine tour couldn’t be completed without sampling four more exquisite local wines accompanied by a platter of seasonal fresh nibbles of Santorini, such as local cheeses and meats. And all of this, while you chill on the terrace of a winery with gorgeous sunset views.
By the end of this tour, you’ll immerse yourself in the deep soul of Santorini!
Before we part ways, don’t forget to ask your local guide for more hints and tips on how to get the best of your trip to amazing Santorini.
♦ This is a private tour and can accommodate up to 6 people
♦ Advised starting times at 10 am or 4 pm with the evening tour having stunning sunset views.
Inclusions: Local, English-speaking guide, transportation, museum entrance ticket, 10 glasses of wine, local seasonal nibbles such as local cheese, cherry tomatoes, and cold cuts
Exclusions: Additional food and drink, souvenirs and items of a personal nature, tips and gratuities for your guide